Mindfulness Based Relapse Prevention (MBRP) Eight Week Course
The Mindfulness Based Relapse Prevention course (MBRP) is an experiential and educational course speciﬁcally created for people in recovery from substance use. Drawing upon Dr. Alan Marlatt's Relapse Prevention Therapy (RPT), Jon Kabat-Zinn's Mindfulness-Based Stress Reduction (MBSR), and Mindfulness-Based Cognitive Therapy (MBCT) this course help prevent relapse and promote wellbeing.
There are many reasons why people relapse, sudden urges and cravings can be triggered by associations, interpersonal conﬂicts and negative emotional states. This course is designed to help us become aware of these triggers for our addictive behaviour and ﬁnd new ways to deal with our compulsive desires. The need to avoid physical and emotion pain is common to all human beings, whether manifested in addiction or other repetitive and dysfunctional patterns of behaviour. Mindfulness presents a radically different way of working with pain - rather than ﬁx or avoid it we learn to be curious, non-judgemental, and accepting.
Turning towards our experience in this way, becoming consciously aware of what is happening inside and outside of us and choosing to interrupt the automatic addictive cycle, can help put us in a better, wiser place. In addition mindfulness also helps cultivate self-acceptance, kindness toward ourselves and others, a sense of spiritual wellbeing and personal ease so that we no longer have to keep changing the way we are.
Who is the course for?
• People in recovery from substance misuse and addictive behaviours wish to maintain abstinence.
• People who have had addiction issues and are curious in exploring a new approach to self-development and deepening
• You will need to be able to commitment yourself to a regular one hour daily meditation practice during the course.
• People who work with addictions and wish to develop mindfulness as an aid to helping others.
• Eight weekly two and half hour classes and an all-day session towards the end of the course
• Compressive workbook to support and chart the growth of your mindfulness.
• CDs with meditation and mindful movement practices
• The intention of maintaining abstinence during the course
• Course fee £210.00 payable advance. Place secured with a £50.00 deposit
What do I do if I am interested?
• Contact me to arrange a meeting or telephone information session (20mins) prior to the course. This is an opportunity for us to discuss what is involved and to explore together whether the approach will be beneﬁcial for you,
• There is no charge for this meeting and you may decide the course is not right or this is best time for you.
Support during the Course
• E-mail/phone contact if you need support during the course.
• Participants can speak individually to me at the beginning and end of each session
• If you require more in-depth personal support it is suggested that this be pursued through individual work with a friend, counsellor or psychotherapist.
• If my schedule permits for one to one therapy/instruction may be arranged for an additional fee.
Next group to be arranged
To be arranged
For further information or to book a place, please contact
Laurence Milburn 0117 9249455 / 07789063781